Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Should Netflix-Original Anime be Normal?


The other day I decided that I would check out one of the newest anime to the Netflix streaming service, Ajin: Demi-Human. I got through episode one and...yeah, haven't gotten back to it. If I am going to continue the story, I figure I'll just read the manga. The CGI-style animation ruined it for me, and I wasn't all that invested based on what I saw anyway. Plus I'm majorly swamped on what I need to catch up on right now. But, another original Netflix series, Seven Deadly Sins, I found pretty enjoyable. Both series are quite different, but both had major hype coming into the season they premiered. The idea of Netflix streaming both series was, and still is, sort of strange to me. It made me wonder if this sort of thing should become normal? 
Now, I'm not entirely sure on the logistics of how Netflix does get its own streaming rights. Obviously they stream certain series alongside other service providers, such as how they and Crunchyroll both have Fate/ Stay Night unlimited blades works and they and Funimation have the rights for Full Metal Alchimest and its sequel series. Thus far, the only apparent "Netflix original" series are the two aforementioned "Ajin" and "Sins" series as well as Glitter Force. The second season of "Sins" will no doubt premiere on Netflix, too.

I'm just not sure how "original" these series are to Netflix. If it's original in terms of it being broadcast to the rest of the world through this service and not just being shown in Japan I suppose that makes sense. But I've heard of other people getting to watch "Ajin" before we did over here in the West, which means it isn't necessarily original. I mean, I suppose it doesn't necessarily matter, but I'm just curious why Netflix would be the first outlet rather than something with a huge following like Crunchyroll. 

One of the benefits that Netflix does provide is that the series are broadcast in multiple languages. It is at the cost of getting the series out on time with some of the other series of the season, but I won't complain. Funimation's "Broadcast Dubs" do the same thin and have, so far, been quality dubs despite the quality of the series it's a part of. Normally, for something to be broadcast like this, it would take a DVD release. Now, if a region has Netflix, there's a good chance that viewers will be able to enjoy content in their own language. 

Which is why I do think Netflix should continue to have a new anime released every so often, if not every season. Only one of those series has really taken off so far, so it isn't like there's a major worry about Netflix becoming the dominant place to watch anime. Crunchyroll, I think, will probably never be dethroned based on what their Premium services offer. Funimation is great based on, like I said, the Broadcast Dubs that they offer their highest-paying subscribers (little plug: it's the one that I subscribe to). And not to mention that Hulu is the sole, main source for anyone to watch the hugely popular One Punch Man and Amazon Prime has the pretty rad Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress airing right now. 

Netflix putting out more anime, and more people having access to it, means we'll get more things like this. Providers such as Hulu and Amazon Prime will begin to both push the anime they already stream as well as seek liscences for anime that maybe some other companies aren't going to stream or that they can spruce up a little and push out further. At this point, it's basically about spreading the word. 

No offense against Crunchyroll or Funimation, but their sole purpose of existence is for anime and manga. Netflix reaches a much wider audience. Perhaps someone finished watching one fun adventure series will get a suggestion for Seven Deadly Sins, since Netflix is more likely to promote it's own stuff over another's. Netflix original anime opens up anime to more audiences than something like Crunchyroll or Funimation, which is already geared toward a specific demographic. 

Plus, this does not affect how many anime they own already. Netflix shares the licenses with other companies for certain anime already. And if an anime is streaming on Netflix that you want to watch but isn't anywhere else? Then I don't see a problem already. Again, given how much Netflix already owns, it'd be difficult for them to start really creating their own series, so what they do now is just fine. 

My only concern is that Netflix had a role in the overall creation of "Ajin" and that was why the animation quality was lacking...or just not there at all. Most of the time, CGI is used in anime because it's quicker and easier for animation studios to put out. Can't really blame them given how awful animation conditions are in Japan, but it does take away from the overall feel of the story when I don't want to look on the screen to see what is happening. If Netflix had something to do with that, then I'm a little less inclined to say so. But, given how good-looking Seven Deadly Sins was, I would think otherwise. 

Netflix original anime doesn't need to have it's own special anime block, but having one that comes around a season or two, perhaps even a shorter one like "Ajin," is just what the service provider and anime community needs. I think it's a similar question to this: "Should series be sold at Best Buy and Barnes and Noble on top of at an online retailer?" Of course! If I can only buy something like Bleach at Best Buy, given that I (for some reason) want to buy Bleach, then I will go to Best Buy to show them that I want to support this and that they can add more anime I'd be interested in getting from them. It's the same with Netflix. If we tell them, by watching the quality shows they premiere first, that we're interested then we're more likely to get more anime on Netflix to see and discuss with others. It makes the community much larger and helps get the word out quicker. 

Oh and another thing that might help is the Netflix-original Death Note movie. But given the track record of Hollywood anime movies...don't count on it. Sadly. 


Social media: 
Twitter: @seanovan13
Instagram: @seanovan10

No comments:

Post a Comment