Sunday, August 31, 2014

Frozen Sequel!...Books?


Yeah, we're going to be getting a Frozen sequel!

Oh you, mean a movie?

That's a possibility. But you're getting books based on the movies, four of them! 

Oh, no, there might be a movie. Disney doesn't know. There's also no Frozen theme park yet, so why are you complaining so much about a lack of a movie?
If you haven't already heard, the news is actually quite old but it didn't really get out too far beyond a few news places, I think, yes, it's true that Disney's latest mega-hit, Frozen, is getting sequels in the form of four books. Nobody really knows what the books are about except that it will center around mostly Anna and Elsa as they reform Arandelle with Elsa at the helm. Also Anna is probably gonna get married to Kristoff, and then there's Olaf. 

The possibility of a movie isn't entirely out the window but Disney seems hard on these books. Probably because they've got another movie in the works for next year, not Episode 7 or Avengers 2, that they're going to try and promote over Frozen

But you can't top Queen Elsa. 

Anyway, I have mixed feelings on this method of bringing us a sequel. On the one hand, I do like that it's in book form. It'll make kids actually read a book (or, eBook or something, I don't know). Look, point is that littler kids will be actually reading and not constantly plugged into "Minecraft" or...uh...do kids still play Pokemon? If they don't they should...

On the other hand, though, the books will probably the size of a kids book. Much of the Frozen audience were students, be it in middle school, high school, and maybe some college students. I was in college when I saw the movie, and I didn't feel too outcast. It was a movie for all ages, unlike several of Disney's other films. The problem with the books is that while I will be reading about the continuation of some of my favorite characters in Disney lore, I don't feel like I will be as enthralled or captivated as I was with the movie. 

The Frozen books are going to have to be readable to the youngest of children. I mean yeah, it's not going to be a flat-out picture book, but I can't imagine it being something along the lines of "Percy Jackson" or something like that. The books won't be too complicated or, dare I say it, compelling as the movie was. 

In film, it's easier to show things rather than tell things, obviously. Especially an animated film, where faces can contort in various, comedic ways that can really help out the film. The story of Frozen was also all over the place, jumping from Anna to Elsa to Arandelle back to Elsa then to Anna and then to Elsa. The vast amount of characters in the film allowed for that, setting up different pieces at different times. There was also the matter of timing. Not all the characters were moving at the same time. We don't know how long, or short, it took Elsa to get to the mountain she would eventually claim. Would a book be able to describe that length of time or would we just skip to Elsa and forget like it took any amount of time? 

I'm probably going way more into this than I should be. It's four kids books, they're supposed to be at a fairly easy readability level. With these sequel stories I'm not looking for like The Two Towers or anything (again, can't be matched, man), but I am hoping that the sequels stay true to the movie. I'm hoping that the characters stay the same and that we can even meet some more new, interesting characters. 

But again, I am very happy that they are releasing them as books. I don't know why they are, perhaps it'd be difficult to get the actors all together in time (though that's a pretty poor argument for film) or maybe the writers just weren't up for another film and so Disney wanted to respect that and new books where animators and directors weren't needed. Like I said, no idea. 

Regardless, though, the fact that Frozen is being carried on is a good sign. Perhaps one day, if the sequel stories are good enough, we can get film adaptations of one or two of them, of the two best stories to the source material. 

Really, though, I'm placing all my hope on a Tangled crossover story. Make it happen. I would buy it, even if it is a kid's book. Because it would be awesome as heck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment