Sunday, November 2, 2014

Top 5 Soundtracks


Music is something in media, or just on it's own, that is something truly magical. It seems often to me that the score, or soundtrack of a movie or TV show can be something that makes or breaks it. If the show's writing and acting is good on its own, then it typically need not be helped by a good soundtrack, such as a show like Arrow. It's not something you would go and download off of iTunes, because you're not there for the music. You're there for Oliver Queen not failing the city!

Alright, Arrow reference is out of the way, let's continue.

Today, or tonight (whichever time you're reading this at), I've compiled a list of my top five favorite scores from TV shows, movies, or even, videogames. Remember, this is all totally biased, since you probably won't have the same top five, or even honorable mentions, as I do, since I think this is a fairly obscure list.

Then again the main music I listen to are anime openings and instrumental music. So yes, expect the unexpected. And feel free to check out these soundtracks after, or during (like me), reading this, because I promise they're something else.

But before we can move into official territory, we of course have honorable mentions! Sorta makes it seem like I could have done a top ten but we'll just forget about that for now...

Also, don't forget, honorable mentions are in no way in order of how I like them, just how they come to mind.

H3: Assassin's Creed II

Kicking things off is the second installment of my favorite videogame franchise and is, spoiler, the only videogame soundtrack on the list. So, sorry about that. I don't necessarily play games looking to get into the music.

Having said that, this game had to have caught my attention if it managed to do that. And boy did it. The game was an emotional one already, full of tragedy and was a pretty decent coming-of age story that would wrap up in my favorite ending to a video-game ever two games later.

To match an emotional game, you have to have some music playing in the background that manages to really send home what's going on. It does that, very well, but also manages to suck you into the world of various Renaissance Italian cities. The music flows with the beautiful scenery, moving from a calming violin tune while strolling Venice to a fast-paced orchestrated song while being chased. It was very current of the time, and so it was a nice break from the nice current or Medieval music that was in it current games, and certainly set the standard for soundtracks in "Assassin's Creed."

H2: Dragon Ball Z--Bruce Faulconer

It was tough keeping this out of the top five but honestly there are just some songs on here that aren't too good and put me to sleep a little. Also, yes, I was raised on the English Dub and therefore got the Faulconer score, so there is definite nostalgia here, but I also think, having listened to the Japanese version, that this is indeed superior. That is where I stand in the ever-lasting war.

As long as we agree GT wasn't good, I'm fine.

The Faulconer score definitely lights up once DBZ really gets it going; and by that, I mean when everyone becomes a Super Saiyan. Though, this does start with the Super Saiyan transformation song. If you're looking for a "greatest hits" of the Faulconer songs, just watch the Cell Games Saga, which contains songs from "Gohan's Anger" to "Gohan Fights Frieza" to "Destruction" and my personal jam, "Hyperbolic Time Chamber." You can't listen to that and not picture Gohan giving Cell the stare down..."I could never forgive you for what you've done!" o.O

Faulconer's score is definitely more rock-oriented, such as the legendary "Super Saiyan 3 Transformation" song, even somewhat metal with a song like "Destruction" but it's also very electronic, making use of fast-paced techno-y music mixed with instrumentals. Faulconer's score is basically the baby of several guitar chords played over an electronic mix spiced with instrumental music. What makes it special is that even though the songs have specific titles for use, they can be used all over the show. "Gohan Fights Frieza" can be used for when Gohan fights anyone. On it's own, even without watching the show, you'll still enjoy the heck out of the soundtrack if you're looking for some music to just jam to. Or write action-scenes, this is pretty much my go-to for that.

H1: Fate/Zero

At first, the Fate/Zero soundtrack to me was kind of "eh." Even when I knew it was composed by Yuki Kajiura, the same composer for SAO, I wasn't too impressed. It was underplayed compared to the magnificent story that was unfolding before me.

Now that I'm watching it again, though, and listening to it without the show, I am simply blown away. Since I can focus more in the little things watching it a second time, the music is having a standout performance, making every scene all the more epic or dramatic. The battles between Servants are so intense combined with this.

OSTs like this usually have the songs that either make a scene over the top awesome or that make it cool. With this one, every single fight scene matched with a battle song is epic. Sure, "Dogfight" is fast-paced and cool, but, it's not the best one on the OST. For my money, I love "On the Battlefield" and, personal favorite, "The World is Tumbling Down."

Though, it's not all about the fight scenes. When the sad music comes on, you feel it, man. Most of the sadder songs on the soundtrack, such as "If You Leave Me" and "Painful" are really hard to take in. Listening to them on its own is still rather difficult--I type as I listen to one of them. They evoke those gut-wrenching emotions out of you expertly. Heck, some songs even have both the epic music and sad music to make you all sorts of confused.

Which is what the show does anyway!

Alright, Honorable Mentions are out of the way, it's time to get to the big guns. The Top 5. 


5. Original "Star Wars" Trilogy"

I was going to limit this to just Star Wars, but The Empire Strikes Back also has "Imperial March Theme" so it was really difficult. And while the prequel trilogy does have some excellent tunes, "Duel of the Fates" and "Battle of the Heroes" in particular, I must say that I get a lot more out of the original trilogy than I do the prequels in terms of music.

Unlike DBZ, each one of the big songs on these soundtracks can be attributed to a specific moment in time. "TIE Fighter Attack" goes straight with the Falcon's escape from the Death Star. "Battle of Yavin" syncs beautifully with the...Battle of Yavin...yay for creative sentences.

John Williams basically composes the perfect score for these movies, though. It makes you feel like you're really out on an adventure listening to it. There are very romantic songs, very sad songs, very action-oriented songs. What makes it so great is how light-hearted it always feels, with the exception being some of the songs for the Empire. It's great when a series can have a soundtrack that isn't overtly serious or epic and is just a lot of fun. Not everything has to be this huge, monumental event. There are songs for that.

Star Wars being the movie I consider one of the greatest of all time, it's soundtrack had to be on here somewhere, and with some of the most famous music in all cinema, you knew that by default it would be here. Obviously, it's that well-regarded for a reason.

4. Sword Art Online

Including both seasons here, because I like some of the techno-spins they put on original songs like "Swordland," it was very creative.

So in a show about being trapped in a video-game and falling in love and facing giant video-game monsters, one would expect a fairly elementary soundtrack, no? At least, that's what I thought I was getting. But then it had an amazing opening and I was sold and then you hear "Swordland" for the first time at the end of episode one and you know, you just know, it's gonna be great.

I went back and forth between SAO and F/Z at this spot because, well, same composer, and sometimes the songs do sound the same. But where F/Z is very divided in it's action versus sad songs, SAO often has the best of both worlds. It's emotional songs, like "At Our Parting" and "A Tender Feeling" never fail to make me just wanna curl up in a ball in a bunch of blankets and vanish.

Every song, though, reminds you of the simple thing constant going in the back of your mind: this is a Death Game. There are no mistakes, and it's the most dangerous place right now. There are giant monsters trying to kill you and the clock is ticking, you have to escape. Never does the music stray away from that and try to make you forget that this is a serious matter. Therefore, the sad music has to be super emotional and the fight songs aren't just for battle, they are for war. You have to win, this is what needs to be done.

Outside of that, it's just beautiful music, man. The versions of just pianos or just violins are simply amazing and the epic songs are some of the most memorable in recent years.

3. The "Lord of the Rings" Trilogy

This was a trilogy with a lot of scope, covering basically an entire world in three movies, or nine hours if you really count it, time. So, you have to have a score to match all of that score, and everything that is going on.

And oh my goodness does it masterfully! The music goes with every scene perfectly, with every moment being only brought up because of the music. While it doesn't make the films what they are, it certainly helps out big time. Can you imagine what the final moments in Moria would be without the same music playing in the background while the Fellowship is running from the Balrog? Um, NO.

This OST is a bit long to listen to just on it's own, but it definitely stands up. The chorus in all the songs is a bit much at times, but it can also be exactly what the songs require at some times. Unlike the other OSTs on this list, the trumpets seem to always be blaring in sort of warning, like "Hey, uh, something really good/ bad is going to happen."

This is probably also the soundtrack that best matches the movie it's in. It's the perfect fantasy soundtrack, full with songs of hope during dangerous moments as well as some funny ones, like the ones that play in the Shire, and it also has your romantic ones for Aragorn and Arwen.

There really isn't much to say that I can express in words regarding how just masterful this soundtrack is at making the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy that much better than it already is. It's certainly one of its best parts, as it, like I said, adds a lot to the fantasy element. It's the exact one you would think of when thinking of kings and evil lords doing battle on great empty fields...in New Zealand no less!

2. Fairy Tail

I'm not even going to try to justify this by saying, "Remember, it's my list, so it's biased" because I just flipped on the "Dragon Slayer Theme" and dude, it's so freaking awesome.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fairy Tail is, or can be, this generation's DBZ. I know some, if not many, would have my head for saying that, but, I don't care, it's my opinion. But we're here to talk about music, and, obviously, I think this OST is better.

Fairy Tail does contain a lot of fighting like DBZ but the fights are not as die-hard as fighting over a planet and while there are some moments like Super Saiyan transformations, the music does not need to be as epic. With Fairy Tail's soundtrack, the music much more of a "bring it on, let's throw down" than a "blow everything in sight up."

Plus the music is a lot faster-paced. There are lots of fast guitar riffs in almost every action song, and if not guitar riffs, then violin, uh, riffs. Not all the songs are fast-paced and even though they aren't meant to be the emotional ones, they come off like that because of the quick songs that are almost always present.

I will say that the powerful moments in Fairy Tail are greatly helped by this spontaneous OST. When the Lacrima and Extalia are about to collide during the Edolas arc and you hear "Dragon Force" all of a sudden start up you know only one thing: it is go time. By the way, "Dragon Force" is also my favorite song off of any anime OST so this soundtrack gets major points for that alone.

The thing that stands out most to me about this soundtrack is the blend of folk-like music with rock. You'll have music from a movie that would deal with the Medieval times and all of a sudden there's hard rock thrown in. "Mystogan's Theme," "Fire Bird and Its Power of Destruction," and "The Three Dragon Slayers" are all prime examples of this. It's very refreshing, if not unique, to hear such a unique blend of music. While at first it's something of relaxing, and it puts you in a mode for a fun adventure with some wizards, you all of a sudden get this rock tune coming in the background that lets you know you are in for one heck of a show.

But seriously, check out "Dragon Force" at that link because any time I'm tired or anything or need to get pumped up, it instantly works. Such an awesome jam.

1. Attack on Titan

Remember how in pretty much every other OST I've mentioned how the music boosts the moment, it really brings it to it's peak? Music is meant to set the mood for the show, movie, or game, to let you know what's going to happen.

Okay, well with Attack on Titan, there is no end to when the music is bad and the music never cheers up and it is always, always telling you that these characters are not safe. There's a scene where they're simply running along the wall of Trost District and "E.M.A." comes on and you realize the dire situation that these people face.

This is also the only OST on here with actual songs, such as "DOA," "Call Your Name," and "Reluctant Heroes" that were written by the composer, Hiroyuki Siwano (and these are in English!). These are all excellent songs and it seems that several instrumental songs get inspiration from these.

I also think that this soundtrack is the most diverse, with songs such as the one that plays when Levi and Mikasa assault the Female Titan to the one that plays when Eren saves Armin (the feels, bro). One is extremely fast and action-oriented and the other makes you want to cry. In between them you have songs such as "Attack ON Titan" which is a mix of action and emotion as well as the aforementioned "E.M.A."

It evokes a lot out of you, but overall, I find this soundtrack to be the most inspirational. After all, a strong element of the show having to hold onto hope in this hopeless war. So the music has to remind the audience to stick along on the ride with these characters. It makes scenes like Eren trying to pick up a spoon memorable, or even just conversations people have. Sure, the writing is fantastic, but it's the songs you remember later on.

When I listen to this OST, I feel a lot different than I do with others. When I list to Fairy Tail, I feel like energized. When I listen to Sword Art Online, I feel bigger than life. When I listen to Star Wars or "Lord of the Rings," I feel like like an adventurer. But with Attack on Titan, I feel hope. Even in the songs, like "XL-TT" that are nothing but full of dread, I still feel rather hopeful for the future, because the songs of hope and of fighting far outweigh those of dread, it's just the moments of dread that we remember more because we don't want to hold onto something as heavy as hope. It'd be easier to let it go.

That's the fun of the OST and the show, it's always holding onto hope, looking toward the day and fighting for it to come so that one day you can sit on the grass, in the open world, and know you are victorious. This soundtrack does that, and it's very powerful on me. I always found Attack on Titan to be a huge inspiration for me and the music is a big part of that. The music is always intense, the orchestra and chorus are in perfect harmony, and there are very few flaws I find listening to this. There's actually a mix of most of the songs here that you can go and check out. I definitely recommend it if you're into soundtracks, but if you're in a creative drought and need some inspiration, I'd say look no further.


Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @seanovan13 to stay up to date on when I post! Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment