Sunday, October 4, 2015

Blog Update #5: Halloween/ November Event


Ah, October. The best month of the year. At some points, the busiest. At others, the most relaxing. I've gone into detail why October is the best, in an actual blog post, so I don't feel the real need to divulge the reasons behind it. Needless to say, though, the entertainment industry really starts to kick into gear around October/ November, and this year is certainly no exception. 

In November, one of the most anticipated games (probably) ever is coming out in Star Wars: Battlefront and later this month we'll see a new Supergirl series, which I'm very optimistic about. I love Supergirl and this adaptation so far seems like it'll take good care of the character. 

Which sort of brings me to my first point. In years past, I've done episodic reviews of Arrow and The Flash, because those are two shows I feel very strongly about and typically have much to say on them. I imagine Supergirl will have the same impact on me. However, I found myself not being able to enjoy the shows as much when I was reviewing them, and with my schedule getting much tighter when the shows premiere and get into full-swing, it would be very difficult to do these reviews. For that reason I've decided not to review the episodes as they come out. If major events occur, I may end up doing an emergency blog post here and there, but otherwise, I'll just be watching the shows and getting enjoyment out of them and ranting to myself afterward. I may decide to change this at the turn of the year, but, we'll see. 

Sadly, unlike last year, Halloween does not fall on a weekday, so I can't do a week of Halloween fun like last year. Not only that, much the every-other-week format of the schedule does not align the week of Halloween with the holiday. For that reason, I've decided to do a couple extra reviews about Halloween-ish things while also keeping true to the normal subject matter of the site. 

The big meat of this update, though, is about November. Last year, November was centered around two major events: the "Blackest Night" DC Comics event as well as the four-part Black Nexus arc. I thought it went over well, though it was rather tiring, and enjoyed the process and making some parallels between the two. With the exception of this past May, this is the only other big event month that I've done so far. 

To keep in some sort of tradition, I'll be reviewing another event comic in November. Sadly, it isn't nearly as good as "Blackest Night"--few event comics are--and I won't be doing the four-part Blue Nexus event. We're getting into the real crux of the arc now, building toward some big reveals and battles, so to break off and do a small arc amidst this one wouldn't make much sense. But the overall theme of the event will hopefully flow. 

For the entire month of November, I'll be reviewing last year's event from Marvel, "Avengers and X-Men: AXIS." It was an event I wasn't sure if I really wanted to cover in full. To be perfectly honest, I would much preferred to review "Original Sin," as it was an event I felt a little more attached to and was pretty disappointed with how it resolved after what was, in my opinion, a wonderful opening three issues. But, you know what, where "Original Sin" disappointed me, "AXIS" just frustrates me. With horrendously wasted potential, extremely poor characters, and some really dumb moments, in general, "AXIS" deserves a month-long look. It's the pinnacle of poor event comics. It's sort of what Marvel has been building toward for the longest time (not literally, because that's apparently "Secret Wars 2015") in terms of event comics. Just...bad. 

Last year, I had tons of fun with the blog around this time of year and I'm really looking forward to what's being brought forth from this year. Hope you guys have fun joining me on this journey! 

October 2015
General discussions: "Top 10 Movies" (10/6), Can Assassin's Creed return to glory? (10/19)
Anime reviews: "Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' Review" (10/20), "Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign Review" (10/27)
Comic book reviews: "Green Arrow (2011) #35-40 Review" (10/7), "Justice League (2011) #45 Review" (10/21), "Wytches Vol. 1 Review" (10/28)
Blue Nexus: "Blue Nexus #27--Conference" (10/8), "Blue Nexus #28--The Nether" (10/22)

November 2015
General discussions: "Heroes fighting heroes...bleh" (11/2), "Do Anti-Heroes still work?" (11/16), "Why Event Comics don't work anymore" (11/30)
Anime: "Gangsta. Review" (11/3), "Fairy Tail chat" (11/17)
Comic book reviews: "AXIS #2-3" (11/4), "AXIS #4-6" (11/11), "AXIS #7-8" (11/18), "AXIS #9" (11/25)
Blue Nexus: "Blue Nexus #29--Out of the Shadows" (11/5), "Blue Nexus #30--Identity" (11/19)

Also don't forget that the schedule may change for whatever reason and there may be random posts scattered here or there to match some news or a TV thing. Something like that. 


Social media: 
Twitter: @seanovan13
Instagram: @seanovan10

No comments:

Post a Comment