Sunday, April 24, 2016

Blog Update #7: The Long Summer


Well friends, we've reached the point where the weather will warm, the theaters will fill, and the wallets will mysteriously empty and by August we'll all look back and think, "Wait what?" Also: BLOG UPDATE!
This is my biggest blog update so far, covering three whole months (sort of). Thankfully on the Wednesday/ Thursday spectrum, I've been sort of helped out by looking ahead enough...but there are some Mondays and Tuesdays that have shaky topics that will probably be changed. Will you remember reading this now and then looking back in July to scorn me? Probably. Will I care?

I'll let you know when I get there.

The first big thing coming up is my next event comic review in May: Marvel's 2015-2016 blockbuster event Secret Wars. Why didn't I review it as it came out? Well I wasn't around last summer to do so and I didn't really care enough about it. Plus, it fits with what'll be reviewed after it anyway. I mean, for me it does.

Secret Wars was meant to end the Marvel Universe that'd been unofficially but officially created in 1961 when the Fantastic Four came around. It also ended the Ultimate Universe, since the Ultimate Universe had been dwindling until it was just one book before Secret Wars. However, it doesn't seem that it necessarily ended and it just kinda jumped ahead eight months with some change but not all that much that we didn't have already. It also helped reboot everything, because Marvel needed that again.

It was a widely popular event, and I wasn't sure about going into it because it just came out and it was well-received, for the most part. I liked the front half of it and Issue 4 placed on my Top 10 comics list from last year. However, from Issue 6 onward it feels like just another mediocre, sometimes downright bad, event comic. And it's not like there isn't some bad to it before, either. My big problem is that there's no scope, no epic feeling that stays consistent. The world is big, yes, but it's only big if you read the tie-in issues. Secret Wars fails because it was just...eh.

But speaking of big and scope, DC is relaunching their comic line once again under their "Rebirth" initiative, which is meant to hopefully realign things and get everyone really confused about what the heck continuity even is anymore. They're setting up for it now over in the "Superman" titles and possibly even in Justice League, but at the time of this writing that's still up in the air.

As such, because DC is going to have a big summer of books, I've decided to review multiple books a day if necessary on Wednesdays. Each new #1 (not counting "Rebirth" titles) falling on a day/ week when I'm blogging will be fully reviewedat varying times throughout the day, with some potential layover onto Thursday. I'll also be looking at the first book in the now re-numbered Detective Comics, too, because Tim Drake is back in the original Robin suit.

Yay.

It's going to be one heck of a busy summer over here on the blog front, and I wanted to get this out now so I don't have to give an update just for May. But I can't just do July, because things are changing up again in August. So, I figured what the heck. Now I don't have to worry about an update for the next several months.

This summer, unlike last summer, the "Blue Nexus" story will continue. It will feature a bunch of brand new characters and it'll definitely be something unique this time, and has some pay-off for littler events going on right now.

On a technical level, you'll hopefully have noticed that the blog finally looks decent and isn't just a bunch of thumbnails. Upon looking at some other big blogs, I figured that this was an effective and professional-ish way of doing things. Plus, I finally have it sort of how I've always wanted it to look, with the menu bar up top giving you, the users, access to various tags and articles that I have under my belt.

And finally, before we get into the schedule, a little promotion: If you like reading some of my comic reviews but want some that are just like it, you should definitely check out this Comic Book Review community. It's full of great people who love comics posting discussions and reviews practically daily.

The rest of April:
Tuesday: Fate/Stay Night unlimited blades works Film Review
Wednesday: Batman #51
Thursday: "Blue Nexus #42 - Unity"

May
Mondays (General Discussion): Civil War vs. "Civil War" (5/9), Flashpoint Discussion (5/16)
Tuesdays (Anime): "Should Netflix-Original Anime be Normal?" (5/10), Dimension W Review (5/24)
Wednesdays (Comic Book Reviews): Secret Wars #0-2 (5/4), Secret Wars #3-5 (5/11), Secret Wars #6-8 (5/18), Secret Wars #9 (5/25)
Thursdays (Blue Nexus): "Blue Nexus #43 - Home of Mages"(5/12), "Blue Nexus #44 - The Future, Man" (5/26)

June
Mondays: Arrow Season 4 Review (6/6), "What about Warframe?" (6/20)
Tuesdays: Towa no Quon Review (6/7), Gurren Lagann Review (6/21)
Wednesdays: Detective Comics #934 Review (6/8), The Flash #1 (6/22)
Thursdays: "Blue Nexus #45 - A Time Long Ahead" (6/9), "Blue Nexus #46 - Delta Squad" (6/23)

July
Mondays: DC's "Rebirth" So Far (6/18)
Tuesdays: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Review (7/5), "Tales of Zestria the X First Impressions" (7/19)
Wednesdays: Shadowland: Moon Knight #2 Review (7/6), Justice League #1 (7/20)
Thursdays: "Blue Nexus #47 - Counterattack from the Past" (7/7), "Blue Nexus #48 - Swordvail Guild" (7/21)


No comments:

Post a Comment